History of Santee Lodge 116
Among the requests received for Order of the Arrow Charters by the National Boy Scouts of America in 1938 one was postmarked Florence, South Carolina. Apparently, Mr. Rucker Newberry had inspired local scouts to become part of the rapidly growing organization of honor campers. The lodge chartered to the Pee Dee Council was the 116th Order of the Arrow Lodge. After a selection period, the name “Santee” was settled upon and duly registered with BSA. The lodge grew slowly, suffering numerous difficulties, which eventually led to a return visit by Mr. Newberry to reorganize the group. After his return, the lodge began to expand and become more involved in the Order and service to the Pee Dee Area Council. Two totems were adopted prior to the middle of the 1950’s. The Carolina Parakeet became the official lodge totem when the first patch was issued in 1955; just before Santee Lodge hosted the Dixie Fellowship for the first time. The actual bird used on the patch was adapted from the Audubon painting of Carolina Parakeets. At this time, the patch sold for fifty cents. At approximately the same time, the first newsletter was published. Its name, The Santee Arrowman, has survived the years and still remains as the title of the current newsletter.